Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Music Camp - Day 2

We have just finished our 2nd day of Jammin' with the Basics.  I am trying to remind myself of why I thought I wanted to be in a room with 16 children banging on drums and things!

It is going extraordinarily well though and we are making good progress.  Our beginners are already doing dotted rhythms independently!   Many of them are first time students.  Of course there are a couple that have to follow, but on the whole we are accomplishing what we set out to do.  This is my first time doing a music camp that isn't just for piano students, so I'm learning and we are revising as we go.  But this is going to do a lot for our instrumental program at school.  Our band director is extremely happy about the results and the kids are having lots of fun while learning things we would not have had time to teach even in several months of lessons at school.  I am finding that there are a few students that are really excelling and will definitely be the leaders in the school program.  In addition, they are getting to know me!  I have already had several inquiries about private lessons.   I have a long waiting list so that wasn't necessarily my goal, but it so is nice to see how they do in this kind of setting.   It makes it easy to choose the students with talent and drive.

We will be doing an evaluation after camp ends this week, but based on the first two days I already know that we will be offering camps next summer.  We have been asked to make them a part of our summer school program.  Just how we do that will be left to plan after camp is over. 

This could be a wonderful feeder program in addition to providing an income during the summer months.   One thing I do know..............16 kids in a beginner group is too many!

As a teacher who has a studio in a public school..............I want to offer a word of advice.  This is a good foot in the door!

Sally Ritchie

No comments:

Post a Comment