Sunday, August 8, 2010

Expanding Music Camp Beyond Established Studio Students

I have been planning to do a summer music camp for several years and this is finally the year when I have everything put together.   We all have students who do not take summer lessons, so we have to deal with a huge slide in the fall when we start teaching again.  I wanted a summer camp where I could help them “get back their skills” and get into the habit of thinking music again.

Since my studio is in a public school, I work with the band and choir students during the school year.  It occurred to me that a music camp would benefit them as well, so I discussed the idea with the band director.  He loved it and was very eager to have his students attend the camp too.   It would make their fall band lessons much easier for both the students and for him. He not only has been calling his new students to recommend the camp, but is also helping with the camp itself.  It has greatly increased the pool of potential attendees, and will give the students the opportunity to get to know both of us.

We have been working on the plans for the camp to be held this week.  It will be three hours each day and will contain activities geared to all music concepts, but not specific to any instrument.  I am eager to see how things go and very excited to see our ideas put into use.

As well as being a great opportunity for the students, the expanded music camp may well provide a venue to increase any studio's exposure to the community.

Sally Ritchie

No comments:

Post a Comment